[BKARTS] tooling in black colour

Hello

I need to do some tooling on a small vellum-binding. The vellum is not
coloured and I should draw some black lines on it. Therefore I would
like to use soot. Should I first apply any grounding (glaire, Forgold,
Fixor, etc) or will it stick by itself?? I do not want to get dirty
hands every time I touch the book...