[BKARTS] "Books Over Time"

If you find yourself in Upper Montclair, New Jersey in the next month, there
is a small exhibit of historical book models on display in Calcia Hall at
Montclair State University.

Books Over Time

A  short survey of historical book models
spanning the last 5000 years, created by Roberta Lavadour

Calcia Hall, Montclair State University

Feb. 20 through March 20, 2004

This collection is the result of my own independent investigation of book
structure. Being in rural Eastern Oregon, access to formal binding
instruction is limited to periodic workshop study. To fill in the gaps, I've
been creating my own models of everything from cunieform tablets with clay
'envelopes' to wax tablets, various Medieval structures, miniatures, various
account book bindings and so on. While the collection is by no means an
exhaustive, it's growing all the time.

I gain a great amount through the making of these books, but they've also
become a useful teaching set and I'm happy to be able to share them with the
students at Montclair.

Calcia Hall hours are iffy on Evenings and Saturdays - contact number is
(973) 655-4000.

with best wishes,
Roberta

Roberta Lavadour