[BKARTS] Marbling problem

I'm trying to do some marbling using acrylic paints and methylcelulose size but have a problem with the methylcellulose settling in a thick layer at the bottom of the tray. The recipe I use Is 5 T + 1 t. meth. sprinkled into 1 gallon distilled water stirring until clear, letting it sit for 15 minutes, stirring intermittently during that time.

I tried first with room temperature water and then with water heated to 70-95 degrees. It made no difference in  the settling of the methylcellulose. Colors did not spread in the nice round circles I am used to seeing.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Travelling to any of the marbling workshops is out of the question.

Betty