Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Feb 2004 to 16 Feb 2004 (#2004-44)

----- Original Message -----
From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 0:00 am
Subject: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Feb 2004 to 16 Feb 2004 (#2004-44)

***********************************

> --
>
> Date:    Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:41:41 -0500
> From:    Terry Belanger <belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Freshest Advices: February 2004
>
> .
>

> The following message has been sent to the Book_arts-L, ExLibris,
> and=20SHARP-L bulletin boards.
>
> Rare Book School: FRESHEST ADVICES February 2004
>
> JAPANESE
> ILLUSTRATED
> BOOKS
> RBS is pleased to announce a new course, to run in Baltimore from
> 12-16=20
> July 2004 at (and co-sponsored by) the Walters Art Museum:
>     I-85. Japanese Illustrated Books, 1615-1868
>     Ellis Tinios
> Commercial publishing flourished in Japan in the Tokugawa period=20
> (1615-1868). Book illustration came into its own in Japan by the
> closing=20decades of the c17. At first, the illustrations were
> printed in black only;=
> =20
> color printing from multiple blocks was fully mastered by 1760.
> Thereafter==20

 color was commonly used in book production, although books with
> line only=20
> illustrations continued to be produced in large numbers to the end
> of the=20
> period. The success of these book illustrations depended upon the
> close=20collaboration of artists, copyists, blockcutters and
> printers under the=20
> supervision of publishers responsive to the demands of the market.
> This=20course provides an introduction to illustrated books and
> prints produced in=
> =20
> Japan, 1615-1868. Topics to be covered include: overview of the
> history of=
> =20
> the period; the physical characteristics of Japanese books and
> their modes=
> =20
> of production and distribution (publishers, booksellers & book-
> lenders,=20readers, marketing); the major categories of Japanese
> illustrated books=20
> (painting manuals, copy books, picture books without words, poetry=20
> anthologies, novels, topographical studies, botanical surveys,
> erotica);=20books illustrated by a
rtists of the Ukiyo-e, Nanga,
> Kan=F4 and=
> Maruyama-Shij=F4=20
> schools; the impact of imported Chinese books on Japanese book
> production;==20
> the development of single-sheet woodblock prints in the context of
> the=20history of the Japanese illustrated book; issues related to
> conserving,=20cataloging, and describing Japanese books. The course
> will combine daily=20
> lectures and discussions with hands-on sessions in which the class
> will=20have the opportunity to examine both books and prints.  In
> their personal=20
> statement, students should describe any previous background they
> have had=20
> in the field; no previous knowledge of Japanese art or history is
> expected==20
> of those who apply for admission to this course.
>     Ellis Tinios is Honorary Lecturer in the School of History,
> University==20
> of Leeds; Research Associate at the Japan Research Centre, School
> of=20Oriental and African Studies, University of London; and
> special as
sistant=20
> to the Japanese Section of the Department of Asia, British Museum.
> He is=20
> the author of Mirror of the Stage: The Actor Prints of Kunisada
> (1996), On=
> =20
> the Margins of the City: Recreation on the Periphery of Edo with
> Paul Waley=
> =20
> (1999) and Kawamura Bump=F4: Artist of the Two Worlds (2003); and
> he is a=20
> contributor to Masterful Illusions: Japanese Prints in the Anne van
> Biema=20Collection (2002).
>     Applications for this new RBS course will be received in the
> usual=20way; for further information, consult the RBS Web site at:=20
> http://www.virginia.edu/oldbooks/rbs/app.html
>
> DELMAS FELLOWSHIPS IN
> PALEOGRAPHY and CODICOLOGY
> The Trustees of the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation have approved
> a=20$15,000 grant to support fellowships at RBS in medieval
> codicology and=20
> paleography. The first group of Delmas Fellowships will be awarded
> to=20students attending Albert Derolez's courses in RBS this
> summer:
M-20:=20

.
>     Bryan. Monday 8 March 2004. Charles F. Bryan, Jr (President
> and CEO,=20
> Virginia Historical Society): =93The Myth of the American
> Historical=20Ignoramus.=94 {473}. Location to be announced.
>     Howes. Thursday 11 March 2004. Justin Howes (Curator, The Type
> Museum,==20
> London): =93Typographical Monstrosities: from Sanserifs to the
> Euro.=94= {474}.=20
> Location to be announced.
>     All lectures will begin at 6 pm, and followed by a reception.
> All are=
> =20
> welcome.
>

> Terry Belanger : University Professor : University of Virginia :
> Rare Book=
> =20
> School : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903 :
> Telephone=20434/924-8851   fax 434/924-8824   email
> belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx : URL=20
> <http://www.rarebookschool.org>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:45:33 EST
> From:    DanceMarathon1@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Photo and Poetry
>
> Christina-
> I'd suggest the simple accordion structure with
a cover--a simple

Cutrone <jcutrone@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Spring '04 Edition of Folio: The Book Arts News at FAU
>
> Hello Book Arts and Letterpress Lists:
>
> The Spring 2004 edition of Folio: The Book Arts News at FAU is now
> available on-line from the following link:
>
> http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/foliospring2004.pdf
>
> The new edition is eight pages of South Florida book arts news, the
> mosttimely being our Spring Break Book Arts Intensive: five days of
> pastepapers, pochoir illustration and French Simplified leather
> bookbinding with
> Pacific Coast bookbinder Paula Marie Gourley, Wednesday, March 10
> throughSunday, March 14: the second half of Florida Atlantic
> University's Spring
> Break Week. (This way FAU students can surf for a few days before
> divinginto bookmaking. And if you happen to be from away, well,
> it's just one
> more good reason to escape a dreary winter and come on down to
> Florida in
> March.)
>
> Tuition for the 5-day workshop is $250, pl
us a $35 materials fee (FAU
> students $175, plus $35 materials). And if I've put a little bug in
> anyone's cold northern ears, let me know and I'll gladly supply local
> accomodations information. Current temperature in Boca Raton: 72
> degrees F.
>
> Best,
> John
>

> John Cutrone
> The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
> Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library
> Boca Raton, Florida
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:20:55 EST
> From:    Ginger  Meidel <Gingerscribe@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Spring '04 Edition of Folio: The Book Arts News at FAU
>
> Hi John,
>      How are you? I'm doing well -- heading your direction this
> Friday --
> Denis Brown, that famous Irish calligrapher, is teaching a weekend
> workshop for
> our guild.
>       Do you still have room in your Spring Book Intensive, and is it
> something a beginner like myself could do?? I would really like to
> learn about
> leather binding -- what do you think? and is
 there "on campus"
> housing?       Thanks so much!!
>           All best to you,
>             Ginger
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:54:16 -0500
> From:    John Cutrone <jcutrone@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Spring '04 Edition of Folio: The Book Arts News at FAU
>
> At 02:20 PM 2/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi John,
> >       How are you? I'm doing well -- heading your direction this
> Friday --
> >Denis Brown, that famous Irish calligrapher, is teaching a weekend
> >workshop for
> >our guild.
> >        Do you still have room in your Spring Book Intensive, and
> is it
> >something a beginner like myself could do?? I would really like to
> learn about
> >leather binding -- what do you think? and is there "on campus"
> housing?>        Thanks so much!!
> >            All best to you,
> >              Ginger
>

> Hi Ginger,
>
> I'm fine thanks, just BUSY! Yes, you can do this, and you should. I
> thinkyou'd really learn a lot from
Paula. I have 1 spot confirmed
> and 3 others
> reserved at this point, so there is still space available, but
> folks are
> just receiving word about the workshop. No on-campus housing that I
> knowof; we usually put folks up at the Fairfield Inn, which is
> probably about a
> mile away: 3400 Airport Road, Boca Raton 33431. It's a very new
> place, and
> the FAU rate is, last we knew, $69 plus tax ($75.90 a night total).
> Twodouble beds or a king, with breakfast bar. The only possible
> hitch is that
> FAU normally pays these bills, but this would not be the case, of
> course,in your case. Still, we figure it's worth a shot though to
> ask for the "FAU
> Rate". Normal rate is almost double that.
>
> The number is 1 800 228 2800 and Ulla Gray, our secretary here at the
> library, usually deals with the assistant manager, Jeff Klein (she
> dealtwith him last in November). Let me know how it goes if you
> give this FAU
> rate a try.
>
> Hope to see you in March!

 John

> John Cutrone
> The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
> Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library
> Boca Raton, Florida
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:58:53 -0500
> From:    John Cutrone <jcutrone@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: apologies
>
> Sorry about that list, I seem to be hitting SEND without looking
> more and
> more these days. Now you can all come to Boca Raton on the FAU rate!
>
> John
>

> John Cutrone
> The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
> Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library
> Boca Raton, Florida
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:48:05 -0800
> From:    Justin Miller <boundstaffpress@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Photo and Poetry
>
> I use the book "Making Journals by Hand" by Jason Thompson as
> inspirationfor my High School photo students.
>
> I have had success with an accordian fold design, as well as a
> japanesebinding.
> One of my favorite projects for secondary st
udents is the "guide
> book" we
> map fold a large (11x17 - 24x36) photograph and attach covers. Extra
> embelishment is individualized.
>
> I use poetry with photography all the time. My students start each
> classby reading a poem, and describing the photograph they would
> take to
> illustrate the poem. It is a great excercise for developing
> creativity and
> visualization.
>
> Justin Miller

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:13:23 -0500
> From:    "Paul W. Romaine" <romaine@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: APHA NorCal Meeting 2/21/04 on Dwiggins Marionettes
>
> Please excuse cross-posting.
>
> The Northern California Chapter of the the American Printing History
> Association is pleased to announce that it will meet this Saturday
> Febrary21st at the Book Club of California at 11am (312 S
utter
> Street, San
> Francisco) to hear Barbara Land, the Club's Librarian, on W.A.
> Dwiggins.Ms. Land will show one of the four master copies,
> assembled by Dorothy
> Abbe, of the DWIGGINS MARIONETTES. We will also have a brief annual
> business meeting, with lunch to follow will be at the newly
> restored Ferry
> Building, and a tour conducted by Kathleen Burch. All welcome.
>
> For further information, contact chapter president John McBride at
> 510 /
> 527-1018
> or JohnMcBride94702@ aol.com
>

> Paul W. Romaine
> web@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Web Master
> The American Printing History Association
> http://www.printinghistory.org
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:25:49 -0500
> From:    wordsoflight <wordsoflight@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: artist book donations
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to everyone who generously offered their ideas for a photo-
> text =
> artist book. Appreciate it.
>
> Now I have a request that is difficult to make bec
ause of the =
> preciousness and respect for all of the bookartists' works.
> But here goes, would any of you out there be willing to send me a
> copy =
> of one of your books to share with young people I teach? Perhaps
> there's =
> one around that has been soiled or mishandled that isn't quite up
> to par =
> that you could part with, for educational purposes. They will be
> used as =
> examples for the kids to handle and look at closely, manipulate
> wildly, =
> and study your work.
>
> I realized today when I was giving a workshop how limited in
> exposure =
> these students really are to the world of book arts. MAssachusetts
> does =
> not have book arts k-12 in their curriculum, although I know one S. =
> Gaylord is doing a great job sharing her talents throughout the
> land =
> here:) And I'm doing a similar program with more emphasis on writing.
> I have exchanged a couple of my works with annie(netherlands) and
> pat =
> collins(uk), and could do similar wi
th others if interested(the
> students =
> loved their books today).
> Or does anyone have another idea to help?
> You can contact me off-list if you want.
>
> Best wishes,
> Christine Tarantino
> wordsoflight@xxxxxxxxxxx
> LITERARY ARTS AT MILL POND
> 275 Baldwinville Road
> Phillipston MA 01331-9733 USA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:43:18 -0800
> From:    Diane Nolting <dnolting@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: SF Bay area internships/apprenticeships?
>
> Hello,
> I'm new to the list and am wondering about current possibilities of
> interships or apprentiships for bookbinding in the San Francisco Bay
> area. I cannot relocate, unfortunately. I've taken 2 bookbinding
> classes and currently do repair work for a small academic library. I
> realize that I'm at a crossroads between going back to school for the
> umpteenth time for an MLIS or somehow making the leap to do what I
> really want to do, which is hands-on, advanced book repair
> /pre
servation work.

> I'm hoping to find a one or two day a week apprenticeship or
> internship. Feel free to reply off-list. Thanks!
>
> Diane Nolting
> dnolting@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:12:50 -0800
> From:    Signa Houghteling <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Photo and Poetry
>
> You are to be praised highly for sharing your imagination and
> enthusiasmwith your students.
>
> Signa

of BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Feb 2004 to 16 Feb 2004 (#2004-44)
>Would anyone know where to get sheet rubber that would work as a replacement for the rubber blanet on a Nuarc Exposure Unit? The dimentions would be around 4' x 5'. What kind of rubber would work best? Thanks for your help

Josh Peplinski
Printmaking Tech
Savannah College of Art and Design