[BKARTS] bookbinding textbook

hello all,
I am a graduate student at the School of Information Sciences at the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville.  I am designing an independent study
course for this summer on hand bookbinding.  For part of the course, I will be
taking two classes at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN.
The first of the classes is a two-week course on blank books by Daniel Essig.
The second class is a one-week course on pop-up books by Carol Barton.  I
would like some recommendations from book artists for a book that I could use
during this independent study course as a supplement to the classes.  Ideally,
the book would provide some background on the history of the book and hand
bookbinding, as well as some information about the tools, materials,
processes, and people involved in hand binding up to this point in history.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Replies may be posted to the
list or sent directly to my email.
Thank you,
Amy Self
aself@xxxxxxx