Re: [BKARTS] Lamination? Shiny book covers?

Hi Julie,

I was probably the one who mentioned the 3M cold laminator.  It is
available in widths of 8-1/2 and 11in widths.  The film is actually a bit
wider than that.  The roll is 100ft long.  The surface is gloss.  The
machines are designed to do double side lamination.  I cut off the
underside film so it coats one side at a time.  When the first roll is
finished, you turn the cassette over and use the other roll.  The adhesive
is high tack, and aggressive.  In my experience, it is permanent and
durable, but I have no long term or archival experience.  It is most
suitable for smooth papers. It works very well on gloss photo paper.  The
rougher the paper, the more prone it is to air bubbles.  I use it on gloss
and smooth papers with success.  The film also stiffens the paper somewhat,
and reinforces it against fold damage and the like.  I do not think it
would work very well on a decoupage or collage surface with abrupt
edges.  I don't think any film system would work well for that. but the
best might be a hot melt system.  There are hot systems which can have very
large film sizes.

The industry experience with laminations is not universally positive.  Many
of the early laminations were not very permanent or durable.  However, many
current processes seem to have improved that record greatly.  There are
several systems available, and people ready to apply them for you in job
shops.  There are also liquid systems based on sprays and printing press
application.  And there is also the possibility of painting on an artists
medium, like an acrylic latex or lacquer or varnish.  In any liquid
application, and certain films like vinyl, there is always a question of
residual tack and transfer adhesion, ie., will it stick to adjacent paints,
inks and coatings on the shelf.  Whatever you choose, I strongly urge you
to try it on your materials before adopting it, to test whether it meets
all your requirements.

Most coatings will make images on smooth paper look more saturated
(brighter).  This effect is much less on glossy (photo) paper, and may
actually go in the other direction.  This is true of dry adhesives as well
as hot adhesives and liquids.

Gavin Stairs