[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] official binding name?

MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design Competition
                    60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes
             Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>

The difference between the Asian and French fold is as follows.

Asian: Single folio (2 printed pages on same side) folded so that fold is
on foredge
French fold: Single sheet (4 printed pages on same side) folded first along
the top edge, then in the center so that the "section" can be sewn through
the fold. The top edges remain folded and are not trimmed.


>From Roberts & Etherington
"Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books"
Washington, DC (1982)

French fold
A sheet of paper printed on one side only and folded over
from left and right to form a "section" with uncut bolts. The
inside of the fold is blank.


I believe that Asian Binding (e.g. Japanes binding) is the
term applied to the method used for french-folded
text blocks.

Alan Shalette


Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
The Book Arts Web & Book_Arts-L Listserv

"The Man's Prayer : I'm a man,  but I can change. If I have to. I guess." -
The Red Green Show

       See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

    *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
    consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©*

       Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]