[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] official binding name?

 MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design Competition
                     60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes
              Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>

Thank you, Peter.

Can it be said that your definition varies from that
of Roberts & Etherington?

Alan Shalette

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter D. Verheyen" <verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: official binding name?

| The difference between the Asian and French fold is as follows.
| Asian: Single folio (2 printed pages on same side) folded so that fold
| on foredge
| French fold: Single sheet (4 printed pages on same side) folded first
| the top edge, then in the center so that the "section" can be sewn
| the fold. The top edges remain folded and are not trimmed.
| Peter
| > >From Roberts & Etherington
| >"Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books"
| >Washington, DC (1982)
| >
| >French fold
| >A sheet of paper printed on one side only and folded over
| >from left and right to form a "section" with uncut bolts. The
| >inside of the fold is blank.
| >
| >-------------
| >
| >I believe that Asian Binding (e.g. Japanes binding) is the
| >term applied to the method used for french-folded
| >text blocks.
| >
| >Alan Shalette
| >Albuquerque

        See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

     *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
     consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©*

        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]