Re: [BKARTS] Removing crayon from library book

Dear Julie
Several people have responded to your query, I see, and I would agree that WHOA! is the watchword for the moment. Your intent is of the best, but many people have spent hours trying to undo the best intentions of those who tried to fix such a problem and compounded it instead. If the book was yours, you might try some of the suggested remedies, but the decision about repair now rests with the library that owns the book. You might give them a call and discuss it with them. Perhaps they do not have a conservator available and might agree to let you try to lessen the damage. Be very careful, though, since solvents which remove the crayon could also greatly damage the paper substrate, and the damage might not be immediately visible to your eye. You are looking at some very tricky chemistry here.
with sympathy,
Dorothy Africa