Re: [BKARTS] Flat pages for binding classes

At 09:19 PM 04/05/2004 -0400, James Tapley wrote:
...What I really want to say Gavin is that it is grotesquely unfair of us to
denounce earlier binders as incompetent or worse. Surely some were and
are. But I
believe that the majority, just as we do today, struggled with the science
and technology available to them to meet the demands of the larger public.
I've
been in the game long enough to see our own mistakes.

Dear James,

I would not wish to characterize all bookbinders from any age as
incompetent, but the book Betty describes has several faults all together,
and in the end failed rather catastrophically.  So I called it
incompetent.  If it makes you feel better, I have made a few incompetent
books myself.  Incompetent can be applied to a maker but also to a job or
an object.  So let's say this was an incompetent book.

All the best, Gavin