Re: [BKARTS] "Matter and Spirit" at Wells College

Dear Terry-

Not an indulgence at all, but a wonderful aknowledgement of all that it takes to plan, promote and produce an exhibition or event and a caring recognition of all those who helped at every level...speaking of Matter and Spirit.

Alice Simpson

>Subject: Re: Wells College Book Arts Symposium (Aurora, NY)
>
>Dear Michael & Velma
>
>Thank you for your kind words regarding last week's symposium. It was our hope to provide an enjoyable & interesting event to the expansive audience that constitutes the book arts. The many compliments we've received thus far
are truly appreciated, but as Director of the Center I feel I ought to address a misconception recurring in such praise. Those not directly involved in its planning & performance might presume 'Matter & Spirit' sprung forth a la Athena from this Director's noggin - fully formed and prepared for battle - or that the event was made entirely from the yolk of
an egg. 'Matter & Spirit' succeeded only because it was a collaborative effort. Gracious as these workers may be, names should be named, and if this list's moderator will permit, I would like to state for the record those who lent their support, big and small, to 'Matter & Spirit.'

Thanks to Peter Verheyen whose instigation proved most helpful getting an initial program draft together, and of course, the exhibition off the ground.

Thanks to my assistant director Nancy Gil and our trusty half dozen workstudy students who worked full-time for weeks (in Nancy's case, months) to tend to the excess of details incurred in planning such an event.

Suzanne Moore & Don Glaister deserve separate, but equal gratitude. Suzanne supplied us with her beautiful calligraphy without hesitation and Don gave more than a fair share of his time & talent to install the exhibition. Our post-symposium sanity is due in large part to the wisdom they both dispensed
freely to staff & student alike throughout our planning.

>From Housekeeping to the President's Office, the entire Wells College community deserves a special thank you for its collective moral & logistical support. Never have I experienced an institution more informed or encouraging of the book arts. As unbelievable as it may seem folks, faculty
& administration here think the book arts at this small liberal arts college is a good thing, even an important thing. Long-term planning, financial support, summer & year-long workshop programming . . . more on this anon.

Lastly and most certainly, I would like to recognize Victor ammer Fellow Sarah Roberts for her special contributions to 'Matter & Spirit.' Her clear purposeful writing won the Center funding we'd never thought possible. Her gentle counsel guided our planning from day one and was the chief reason 'Matter & Spirit' concerned itself with substance and never with spectacle.

 Her labors these past two years have gone far beyond simply fulfilling the duties of the Victor Hammer Fellowship. Every Book Arts Center should be so lucky to employ a poet of her caliber. Wells College thanks you, Sarah, and I thank you.

Readers of the Book Arts-L, I appreciate your indulging this overtly proud Director. Thank you for your attention and I would welcome anyone in living or visiting our neck of the woods to stop by.

yours in lead, ink & paper
Terry

Terrence P. Chouinard
Director Wells Book Arts Center