[BKARTS] Workshop Announcement - Creating Decorative Papers on the Etching Press - Easthampton, MA

Announcement from the Garage Annex School for Book Arts, Easthampton, MA

Leni Fried will teach Creating Decorative Papers on the Etching Press at
her studio in Cummington, MA May 15­16 (Sat.­Sun.). Please see the full
workshop description below.

This workshop is a lively learning experience and a great deal--you will
come away with up to 30 of your own unique decorative papers! All this for
$160 tuition plus a $40 materials fee.

PLEASE NOTE: This workshop will take place in Leni's studio. Coincidentally
folks from the Garage Annex School will be on vacation from May 10-20. So
if you would like to register for this workshop (there are a couple spots
left) please contact Leni directly by phoning her: 413-634-5591. You may
view images of Leni's decorative papers by visiting our Web site
<http://www.GarageAnnexSchool.com>, but you may no longer register for this
workshop online (because we are on vacation).

You may still register online for other workshops in which there is still
space.

Daniel Kelm's Double-Raised Cords Meets the Gutter Wire is taking place
over Memorial Day weekend: May 29-31. This three-day workshop promises to
be a rich experience as you work through many of the difficulties binders
face: pulpy text paper; thick, stiff pages; precise control of swell; weak
kettle stitches; etc. You can expect to learn a great deal about some of
the challenges binders face, and in the process make a very versatile
structure. All levels of experience are welcome. Please visit
<http://www.GarageAnnexSchool.com> to read the workshop description, view
images, and register.

Creating Decorative Papers Workshop Description:

What is the difference between craft and art? This course will explore the
boundaries of these concepts, and redefine them.

We will use oil base printing inks in conjunction with monoprint,
collagraph, and relief printmaking techniques in order to make patterns,
textures, and images suitable for end papers and journal covers that
emulate the art side of craft. We will print from wall papers, found
objects, cutouts, and natural materials. The scientific method will be
used, abused, and then reused?all in two full days in the studio. This will
be a printing marathon! Expect to come out of the class with up to 30
papers. No previous experience is necessary, just an enthusiasm for and
enjoyment of the unexpected.

The following techniques will be covered: relief rolling, multiple plate
printing, intaglio and collagraph printing, stencils and cutouts. A brief
but important part of the course will emphasize color mixing using
luminous, sturdy, and highly-pigmented inks. We will be printing on thin
Japanese papers suitable for collage work and book arts.

You may want to visit Leni's Web site: www.titaniumarts.com.

About Leni Fried:

Leni Fried graduated from The Pratt Institute in 1980 where she specialized
in both monoprint and collagraph printmaking techniques in classes with
Clare Romano. During the 80s she worked at Bob Blackburn's printmaking
workshop?a breeding ground for emerging artists worldwide. At that time
monoprints were an unaccepted printmaking technique, and were not even
allowed in juried competitions. When people would ask Leni why she was so
enamored of this technique?that produces only one print?she would reply, "I
love monoprinting because the approach to color is very unrestricted?in
that respect it's much closer to painting than other printmaking
techniques. In addition, as soon as I realized I could cut shapes out with
a scissors and print from them, I was hooked."

Leni's work is in over 20 collections in the U.S., including The Library of
Congress, The Museum of Modern Art, The National Institutes of Health, and
The Walker Art Center. Numerous private commissions include a hand-painted
bicycle for Connie Young?for the 1992 Olympics. Leni maintains her own
studio in Cummington, MA.

Garage Annex School for Book Arts
One Cottage Street #5, Room 5-03
Easthampton, MA 01027