Re: [BKARTS] Mulling it over

No Ed, I mean threading.  My hand made trade books are not sewn by hand,
but by Singer sewing machine.  The result is a slightly raised area where
the threads and pierced holes show, and where the thread ends, un-knotted,
project slightly.  This area is higher than the undisturbed fold of the
sheets at either end.  When I glue up, I am left with a small void at
either end, where the PVA has shrunk away from the paper cover.  This is
not a mechanical problem, except for a slight weakness in the head where it
may be pulled to get a book out of a shelf.

I do not say sewing, because that would imply to some people the hand
sewing that is the problem in traditionally bound books, and draw attention
to the operation of sewing, whereas the problem is with the threads which
project no matter how they are placed.  The problem is greater than just
the kettle stitches not being sufficiently beaten down.  There is an
inherent tangle of stitchery and knots that interferes with the smooth
backing desired for finishing the back and lettering.  As Betty's reference
from Edith Diehl indicated, super helps to smooth this out by trapping glue
and defining a smooth surface under the paper lining.

My note had reference to two problems, in some ways distinct.  The
traditional use and properties of super and glue, and my own idiosyncratic
problem with a non-standard binding technique.  I was talking about the
problems of projecting threads in both cases, so I used the nominative term
thread rather than the operative word sew.

Gavin