Re: [BKARTS] Mulling it over

Sewing is the traditional term for the process you are referring to
whether it is done by hand or machine. For purposes of clear
communication I would suggest using the traditional term and adding
either the word manual or mechanical for clarification. At any rate, it
sounds like you have a combination of problems.

The punched pieces of paper have to go somewhere. If I had this problem
I would try placing a tape L-bar on the bed of the sewing machine for
registration and sew through the section once without thread then fan
through to remove the misplaced paper pieces. Next, I would carefully
line up the needle with the first hole and sew with thread. Also, be
sure you are using a needle with a sharp rather than a rounded tip and
change it often.

The "inherent tangle of stitchery and knots" sounds like a sewing
machine thread tension issue.  Making adjustments to the top and bottom
(aka bobbin) tension on the Singer may be helpful. I would experiment
with adjustments to one or both. For regular sewing the thread tension
is balanced so the top thread and the bobbin thread link in the middle
of the fabric thickness. For monogramming the tension is adjusted so
the linking occurs on the bottom of the fabric. The monogram setting
may work better for you. Also, be sure you are holding the thread ends
when you begin to sew to prevent them being caught in the pull-back
that occurs with the first stitch and when you get to the end remove
the section you are sewing by pulling it toward the back of the
machine, not the side or front.

theresa

may be pulled to get a book out of a shelf.

I do not say sewing, because that would imply to some people the hand
sewing that is the problem in traditionally bound books, and draw
attention
to the operation of sewing, whereas the problem is with the threads
which
project no matter how they are placed.  The problem is greater than
just
the kettle stitches not being sufficiently beaten down.  There is an
inherent tangle of stitchery and knots that interferes with the smooth
backing desired for finishing the back and lettering.  As Betty's
reference
from Edith Diehl indicated, super helps to smooth this out by trapping
glue
and defining a smooth surface under the paper lining.

My note had reference to two problems, in some ways distinct.  The
traditional use and properties of super and glue, and my own
idiosyncratic
problem with a non-standard binding technique.  I was talking about the
problems of projecting threads in both cases, so I used the nominative
term
thread rather than the operative word sew.

Gavin