Re: [BKARTS] INK BALL used for Shakespeare's First Folio

Marilyn,

Your sort of out of luck for 1623.

According to C.H. Bloy, in _A History of Printing Ink, Balls, and Rollers_
The Sandstone Press, New York, 1980, who states on: p. 53:

"No account has been discovered by the author of the manner in which balls
were prepared before that of Moxon in 1683."

"Moxon" refers to Joseph Moxon, whose book, _Mechanick Exercises on the
Whole Art of Printing_ was published in the late 17th century, and is
available today as a Dover reprint.

(There is an illustration of the wooden base in Bloy, and an illustration
of some ink balls in Moxon which I've scanned and sent to Marilyn herself,
since attachemnts [thankfully] are not accepted by this listserv.)

Jack

>I need to make a replica of the type of INK BALL the could have been used
>on Shakespeare's first folio when it was printed in 1623 in London.  I have
>found engravings of German ink balls, but nothing from this period in England.
>
>Can anyone point me to a source of an image or other information?  I would
>also be interested in any information on printing in England during this time.
>

>Thank you,
>
>Marilyn Zornado
>Portland, Oregon

Thompson Conservation Lab.