Re: [BKARTS] repair advice

Quoting Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

If you will be using the extant endsheet construction I don't think it
necessary to extend the lining more than 3/8 inch across the bookblock. I'll
refer
to these extensions as wings. If the hinge between the flyleaf and pastedown is
sound then you can recase the book by gluing the flyleaves to the wings. If
upon opening there is no arching of the spine of the bookblock then you should
feel free to fully glue the spine of the text block to the spine strip of the
binding.

----

Many thanks for the replies: I was also pointed to an online tutorial.
The pastedown (the endpaper glued to the front board) has sheared away from
the flyleaf (the endpaper still attached to the textblock), so there is no
current hinge there. After I put in the new spine lining and paste down the
wings to the pastedown (the inside of the front board), should I put in a
hinge between the pastedown and flyleaf?

I don't think I'll go with new endpapers.

There is in fact arching of the spine when I open the textblock, so I am
surprised that the spine was glued to the spine strip in the first place.

Many thanks again. Especially for your patience.

---Amy West

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes