Re: [BKARTS] Smoothing Leather

rj,

First, I'd cut out a piece large enough to do your limp binding, damp it
well and then see if it will flatten out when you press it with your fingers.

Let it dry and see if it stays, more or less, smooth.

If that seems to work, and if it is not quite as smooth as you'd like,
damp it again and paste out the flesh side with cooked wheat starch paste,
then press it out flat with your fingers again and let it dry on a piece
of clean glass or a clean formica table top.

When it is dry, lift it free.  This should be done carefully, and you may
loose some of the flesh-side of the leather.

If there are sharp creases in the skin, it may not be possible to make
it as flat as you might like.

As always, try this on a piece of scrap leather first.

Jack

>I have a kangaroo skin that is some what crinkled do to questionable packing.
>The center section of the skin is in good shape but the neck and leg/belly
>need
>to be smoothed out for them to be useful for me. The skin is about 1.2 mm
>thick
>and I was intending to use the neck section to make a small limp binding
>with a
>long stitch. What would be the best way to remove the wrinkles/creases?
>
>My apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask this question.
>
>Thanks...
>rj

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick