Re: [BKARTS] Naugahyde

    I have used naugahyde--- one with an imitation lizard grain--- and,
although  I hate to admit it, it looks terrific.  (And I am somewhat of a
purist.)  I use it for rebinding things that have to be durable:  reference
texts, cookbooks, etc.
    You're right:  it's a pain to glue.  I glue the naugahyde to the boards
with PVA+wheatstarch or with hide glue (very stinky.)  Then I glue the
turndown to the boards with Walmart seam adhesive.  I have checked seam
adhesive and, although it's not quite archival (my PH pen shows it to be
alightly acidic) it does so many jobs so well that I don't really give a
damn.  Turning it is a hassle:  I have to bear down very hard with a teflon
bone folder.  The whole contraption has then to be rigorously pressed in a
book press.
    The results are very attractive, and washable.
    By the way, I got boatloads of several kinds of naugahyde on EBAY.  You
may have to wait a while for it to come up, though.
Best wishes,
Jet

--

Jet Wimp
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels seeking a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from the
front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes