From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Carol Pratt
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 1:52 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Efficiencies

Yasmin,

You do not specify how you plan to stab sew, but I learned a system for
side sewing from Sandy Tilcock, a master edition binder and letterpress
printer in my city, and it works very, very well.
------

> Cut binders board to fit top and bottom of the book block.  Square up
> the sandwiched block at the edge of the bench with the spine toward
> you and lay a pressboard over the top cardboard with a weight.  Apply
> a layer of pva to the spine edge, coating the edges of the binders
> boards as well.  Let dry (10-15 minutes will usually do).  Remove the
> weight and pressboard.
>
> On one of the binders boards, mark sewing holes along the length of
> the spine edge with straight-edge and pencil.  I usually set my holes
> along a pencilled line about 3/16-inch from the spine edge, spacing
> each hole anywhere from 1/2-inch to 1-inch apart.  The thicker the
> book block, the closer I place my holes.  Drill the holes with hand
> drill or bench drill.  I use a bench drill because it makes them
> straighter.  Remove the cardboards.  Using the binders board gives the
> block more rigidity, making it easier to raise the bit after making
> the hole.
>
> Sew the block.  I was taught to use two needles at the ends of one
> thread (cut 3x the length of the spine), passing each in turn through
> each hole and pulling the thread tightly after each pass.  In
> cross-section the sewing is a "figure-8" up the spine.  At the second
> hole I pass one needle through, around the thread of the second
> needle, and return it through the same hole.  This creates a loop
> inside that locks the stitch in place and makes it easier to finish
> the sewing without the thread moving back and forth in the holes.
>
> Finish the stitching up the side and tie off with a square knot.  The
> knot can be maneuvered into one of the holes, or it can be flattened
> with a folder.  Dot it with pva to secure.  Place the block between
> press boards and press for several minutes to press the thread into
> the paper of the block.
>
> Select compatible paper (the book paper, if you have it) and glue the
> long edge.  Apply to barely cover the stitches.  Trim the paper from
> the edge, cut a fresh straight edge on the sheet of paper, and repeat
> on the other side.  Press again.  When dry, lightly sand off some of
> the paper, taking care to not sand off the sewing threads.  Repeat
> with another layer of paper, if the threads are still obvious.
>
> Apply endpapers as usual and prepare case.
> ------

This procedure sounds complex, but it can be done in an assembly line
system very easily and efficiently.  The results are very strong, open
well, and are attractive.  The stitching is almost completely hidden.
Although I have not tried it with Japanese or Chinese stab bindings, it
might work to glue up the corners only, then cover them with a sewn-on
cloth corner.  Or try a paste finish on the spine edge and try to wipe
it off with a damp cloth after sewing.

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
-----

On Sunday, May 16, 2004, at 08:59 AM, Yasmin Wagner wrote:

> I need to bind a large quantity of books at once (stab binding) and
> wondered if anyone could recommend some efficiencies,
> e.g. faster adhesive methods, etc. Thank you.

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes