Re: [BKARTS] Smoothing Leather

RJ,

Although not all that familiar with Kangaroo leather, from what I remember
from the last time I saw a piece, the grain is quite smooth, not too
dissimilar from calf.

You could try 'slickering' the piece of leather, grain side down on to a
piece of glass.  In the tannery, we dry our calf skins this way, so you may
want to try a variation of this process:

- Thoroughly, damp the grain side of the leather and lay grain side down on
a flat, smooth and hard surface such as toughened glass.  A smooth piece of
marble may also work.

- You will then need to force the air out from between the glass and
leather.  Take a hard straight edge, with a rounded profile, ideally
non-rusting metal (but a piece or millboard or hard board may work) and
working from the centre out wards in different directions, force the air out
from between the leather and glass.

- Allow the leather to completely dry naturally and the peel the leather
away from the glass.  It should now be smooth and un-creased.

Notes:

- This process will only work if the leather has a permeable surface.

- Please experiment with a smaller piece.

best wishes,

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.