Date:    Sun, 16 May 2004 17:24:08 -0400
From:    Jet Wimp <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Naugahyde

    I have used naugahyde--- one with an imitation
lizard grain--- and,
although  I hate to admit it, it looks terrific.  (And
I am somewhat of a purist.)  I use it for rebinding
things that have to be durable:
reference texts, cookbooks, etc.
    You're right:  it's a pain to glue.  I glue the
naugahyde to the boards with PVA+wheatstarch or with
hide glue (very stinky.)  Then I glue the
turndown to the boards with Walmart seam adhesive.
FCB Book Arts wrote:

> Has anyone ever used Naugahyde?  I picked some up
recently for a client > who wanted a better looking
imitation leather (the objection to leather > was not
one of expense, but rather animal rights -- so I was
happy to > comply).