Re: [BKARTS] Smoothing Leather

One last concern before I go off an try these techniques. The hide is not dyed
and is something like a light fawn color.  Will wetting it will cause water
stains and if so what to do to prevent them?

Also it is not clear to me what dampening the leather means exactly. Does it
need to be wet thru the entire thickness or just on the surface. Submerge it in
a pan of water for a bit or wet the surface with a wet sponge?

Thank you for the help,
rj
--- "Jack C. Thompson" <tcl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I love it!  Here you have it; yesterday I suggested flesh-side down, and
> today David suggests grain-side down.
>
> What David calls 'toughened glass' is known on this side of the pond as
> 'tempered glass.'
>
> >- You will then need to force the air out from between the glass and
> >leather.  Take a hard straight edge....
>
> A kitchen rolling pin will also work.
>
> Good luck with this.
>
> Jack
>
> Thompson Conservation Lab.
> 7549 N. Fenwick
> Portland, Oregon  97217
> USA
>
> 503/735-3942  (ph/fax)
>
> http://www.teleport.com/~tcl
>
> "The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne."
> Chaucer  _Parlement of Foules_ 1386

>  MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design Competition
>                        60,000 Euro in total prizes
>               Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>
>             E N T R Y  D E A D L I N E  -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes