[BKARTS] water resistant cover materials

Hello again,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, on/offline about paper stack
cutters, and alternatives. Your feedback will prove helpful when I finally
make a decision about the best way to go.

I do have another question. Here, goes:

I am looking to make a custom notebook for a naturalist friend. He has
requested that the cover be rugged enough to withstand water, for example.
Has anyone worked with a cover material that is durable and water resistant,
or one that may be made so? How would I go about doing this?

I recall seeing a hard-covered field book being sold in a museum shop once
that claimed to be "impregnated with resin" and completely water resistant.
Sounds complicated... has anyone tried this, or some similar method? Or, is
it as simple as treating some bookcloth with Scotchgard?

Thanks in advance,

Angelique P.S.

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes