Re: [BKARTS] Scroll cases

On May 18, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Signa Houghteling wrote:

I think you will find that if you start with a thin binders board, you
will
have better results than with paper.  Use hot glue; you needn't use
much
water at all.  Water can cause trouble in all kinds of ways--cockling,
decomoposing, etc.  The thin board is flexible, and two or more layers
should prove adequate for most tubes.
******************************
I would also recommend the use of board, such as map folder stock, or
thin binder-board.
In fact, I remember during my apprenticeship when Bill Anthony tried
making a molded box with layers of paper that were glued together. The
thing kept shrinking so-o-o much that he could not remove the matrix.
The solution was to soak a sheet of binder-board in water and then wrap
it around the matrix. The resulting box was first covered in, of all
things, asbestos to make it fire-proof, and then with leather.
(Fortunately, there are safer, fire-proofing materials these days.)
-------  I might also add, that, according to the story of the first,
fire-proof box back in the late 1800's(?), the theory was proved to
work when the box was thrown into a pot-bellied stove, and the leather
burned away --- I do not know if a book was inside?

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020