Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinding board supplier

Michael,

Masonite is also too hard. It will not take the impression necessary for
goldstamping. However mat board is much too soft. "Davey" board, such as it is
manufactured today is too soft also. It is also much too dry for use by the hand
bookbinder. I managed to have a goodly supply of Davey Gold Label (no longer
manufactured) which is ideal. I reserve it for leather bindings because when it
is gone there is no more. I have also began to reclaim boards from old,
discarded covers. These are either rope board, straw board, horsehair board or rag
board. The adventuresome bookbinder with more time than I have, can do as the
ancient bookbinder's apprentices did when there was nothing better to do. That
was to make boards by pasting many layers of waste paper together and
pressing them for a few days. This makes a very fine board which is superior to any
commercial product available.

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes