Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinding board supplier

One problem in trying to resurrect this lost art is that most waste paper now is
incredibly acidic, particularly newspaper and even a lot of commercial papers.  Of
course, they can be deacidified (weak magnesium carbonate solution), but it still
seems like a daunting project.  However, since I am retired.....

Edward Stansell wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Masonite is also too hard. It will not take the impression necessary for
> goldstamping. However mat board is much too soft. "Davey" board, such as it is
> manufactured today is too soft also. It is also much too dry for use by the hand
> bookbinder. I managed to have a goodly supply of Davey Gold Label (no longer
> manufactured) which is ideal. I reserve it for leather bindings because when it
> is gone there is no more. I have also began to reclaim boards from old,
> discarded covers. These are either rope board, straw board, horsehair board or rag
> board. The adventuresome bookbinder with more time than I have, can do as the
> ancient bookbinder's apprentices did when there was nothing better to do. That
> was to make boards by pasting many layers of waste paper together and
> pressing them for a few days. This makes a very fine board which is superior to any
> commercial product available.
>
> Ed
> http://www.bookrestoration.net/

>  MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design Competition
>                        60,000 Euro in total prizes
>               Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>
>             E N T R Y  D E A D L I N E  -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes