Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinding board supplier

How would you use the chemical to deacidify the paper?  In what kind of store does one buy magnesium carbonate?  What kind of paste/glue would you use to paste the papers together?

Thanks.
Kathy Wolford, Mineral Springs, Pa., kathleenwolford@xxxxxxxxx

Jet Wimp <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One problem in trying to resurrect this lost art is that most waste paper now is
incredibly acidic, particularly newspaper and even a lot of commercial papers. Of
course, they can be deacidified (weak magnesium carbonate solution), but it still
seems like a daunting project. However, since I am retired.....

Edward Stansell wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Masonite is also too hard. It will not take the impression necessary for
> goldstamping. However mat board is much too soft. "Davey" board, such as it is
> manufactured today is too soft also. It is also much too dry for use by the hand
> bookbinder. I managed to have a goodly supply of Davey Gold Label (no longer
> manufactured) which is ideal. I reserve it for leather bindings because when it
> is gone there is no more. I have also began to reclaim boards from old,
> discarded covers. These are either rope board, straw board, horsehair board or rag
> board. The adventuresome bookbinder with more time than I have, can do as the
> ancient bookbinder's apprentices did when there was nothing better to do. That
> was to make boards by pasting many layers of waste paper together and
> pressing them for a few days. This makes a very fine board which is superior to any
> commercial product available.
>
> Ed
> http://www.bookrestoration.net/

> MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design Competition
> 60,000 Euro in total prizes
> Full information at
> E N T R Y D E A D L I N E -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4
>
> See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

60,000 Euro in total prizes
Full information at
E N T R Y D E A D L I N E -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4

See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: