[BKARTS] AW: AW: lifting pasted pastedowns

Hi!

The methods I mentioned are all used to preserve the original pastedown.
When working with old and valuable books, I it always necessary to
preserve the original substance as much a possible. But even more
important is to preserve the original construction of the endpapers for
further scientific researches.

Only when working with mass-produced books which have usual endpapers
without any signature or dedications or exlibris, it comes to my mind to
replace the original endpaper.

Gore-Tex is a semi permeable membrane which is used to dampen paper,
without putting water directly on it.
When working with a Gore-Tex sandwich you create a very thin chamber
which contains very high relative humidity.

------------
Homepage:
http://free.pages.at/ftd-buch
http://www.ftd-buch.de
http://community.webshots.com/user/flori76

Jet
> Wimp
> Gesendet: Freitag, 21. Mai 2004 17:53
> An: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: Re: AW: lifting pasted pastedowns
>
>     I have developed a way of lifting pastedowns which seems to work
well.
> First I scrape around the border of the pastedown using a very thin
blade
> remove that part which impinges on the turn ins.
> Then I clamp the cover and, using a small rotary sander, remove the
rest
> of
> the paste-down.  Of course, this destroys the original pastedown, but
when
> am recasing books I always choose a new set of endpapers anyway.  It
> sounds
> brutal and heavyhanded, but the sanding is really a gentle process
that
> doesn't damage the boards.
>     It is not clear to me whether Florian's method preserves the
original
> pastedowns, nor why this is even necessary.
>     Also, what is a Gore-Tex sandwich?
> Thanks for your help,
> Jet
>
> Florian Wolper wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > There are several ways, to lift reluctant pastedowns:
> >
> > - Don=92t forget to test colours or writings on the paper!!
> > - Remove any dirt in the groove or inner joint, because it would
cause
> > those ugly dirty marks.
> > - If the pastedown has soluble colours on it, you have to apply
> > compresses or a Gore-Tex sandwich.
> >
> > Apply ethanol (70%) to the pastedown and then moisten with water.
This
> > way, the water penetrates the paper much better. But be very
careful,
> > with cracks in the board, because the moisture may reach there the
> > leather cover darken it.=20
> >
> > Often it helps to apply heat to the moistened paper, especially if
there
> > is any animal glue under the paper. Steam has proved to be very
> useful.=20
> >
> > Very reluctant patches are often lifted with the use of acetic acid
> > (3%). Apply the acid to the paper or - if possible - inject it
directly
> > between the board and the pastedown.
> >  =20
> > Apply ethanol (70%) and a thick layer of methyl cellulose to the
> > pastedown. Be very careful not to apply the methyl cellulose
(Thylose MH
> > 300) to the turn-ins, they may darken. You have to wait until the
paper
> > may be lifted. I would try to lift the paper after 10 minutes. If
it's
> > not possible, try every 5 minutes, but do not remove the methyl
> > cellulose. This would cause the paper to dry and would make you
start
> > again from the beginning. When it is possible to lift the paper,
remove
> > the Thylose just at the patch you are working at. Then remove again
> > little bit of the Thylose and lift the paper. After removing it
> > completely, I would suggest to wash it.
> >
> > Damp the pastedown and the board and cover using a Gore-Tex
Sandwich. To
> > do so, place the cover on a film. The pastedown is covered with a
thin
> > Holytex or Reemay), a Gore-Tex membrane, a thick moistened blotting
> > paper, a film and a thick felt to weight the sandwich.
> > This may take some time (up to several hours), until the moisture
> > reaches the paste and make it swell up. Then it should be possible
> > lift the paper.
> >
> > One of this ways should lead you to a successfully lifted pastedown;
if
> > not, the pastedown has peen pastedown with a PVA and the use of
solvents
> > is inevitable.
> >
> > I hope this helps. If you are uncertain about any point, feel free
> > ask.
> >
> > Florian.
> >
> > =20

> > ------------
> > Homepage:
> > http://www.ftd-buch.de
> > http://community.webshots.com/user/flori76
> > =20
> > > -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Cullen
> [...]
> > >  and=3D20
> > > has one of those padded leather bindings.  The leather on the
binding
> > is =3D
> > > in=3D20
> > > good shape; the only break in the joint is about 1" long on the
front
> > joi=3D
> > > nt. =3D20
> > > The board is cracked parallel with the spine along a line about
1/3
> > the=3D20
> > > distance from the fore edge.=3D20
> > > In order to mend the cracked board I was going to lift the paste
down,
> > an=3D
> > > d=3D20
> > > then readhere it.   The adhesive appears to be paste.  I have
tried
> > the d=3D
> > > amp=3D20
> > > pack trick, with no success.  Anyone have any ideas for lifting
> > this=3D20
> > > reluctant pastedown?
> > >=20
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Susan Lunas
> > > Eugene, Oregon
> > >=20
> > >              ***********************************************
> > >                                    =3D20
> > >  MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design
> > Competition
> > >                        60,000 Euro in total prizes
> > >               Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>
> > >             E N T R Y  D E A D L I N E  -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4
> > >                                    =3D20
> > >                                    =3D20
> > >         See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
> > >              ***********************************************

> >                                    =20
> >  MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design
Competition
> >                        60,000 Euro in total prizes
> >               Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>
> >             E N T R Y  D E A D L I N E  -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4
> >                                    =20
> >                                    =20
> >         See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>
> --
>
> Jet Wimp
> Philadelphia, PA  19139
>
>  The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store
in
> Brussels seeking a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from
> the
> front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back
counter.
>  ?But they are identical,? the owner protested.
>  ?No,? Magritte insisted.  ?This one?s been stared at.?

>  MDE - Innovation 2004: An International Bookbinding Design
Competition
>                        60,000 Euro in total prizes
>               Full information at <http://www.mde2004.org/>
>             E N T R Y  D E A D L I N E  -- J U N E 1, 2 0 0 4

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes