Re: [BKARTS] creating bookcloth (et alia)

Ed,
Thus far our experiments have not used any form of paper backing - just the
cloth, paste, and board. It has worked out very well, thus far. (I still
need to work on my patience a bit, but that has nothing to do with the books
themselves.)

We have also begun experimenting with making our own bookboard, or
"apprentice board" as its been called recently, out of misprinted paper and
scraps of cardstock. I've found it to be quite strong, so far, and will
attempt a book with it in a few days. Thirty sheets of twenty pound bond is
the right thickness, as we've tried fiveteen and twenty, both seem too thin.
We're using a mixture of PVA and mache glue (water, flour, sugar, alum),
which seems to hold nicely and hasn't gone bad yet...

Which brings us to another note: We had a pot of paste we made last week,
flour and water paste, boiled and sealed. The bloody thing exploded on us
(we, not exploded, but fermented in the bottle until it started bubbling out
of the top of the jar.) Anything we can do to prevent this in the future? I
have only tried a couple of books with the goop, and am not sure whether or
not to just stick with the mache/PVA mixture or switch to using smaller
volumes of flour paste, which I suppose is less likely to go bad if its used
up right away. (Didn't someone once mention that this stuff could last a
decade?)

Thank you all so much for your guidance. This has made my practice much more
effective than the library visits.

RA