[BKARTS] Flour paste (was creating bookcloth (et alia))

I agree with everyone else that the mixture is no longer useable as an adhesive, but if it's just flour and water, don't throw it out. Do you bake? Sounds like you've got a good, active sourdough starter.

Emily Epstein

-----Original Message-----
From: Abi Sutherland <abi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 24, 2004 9:40 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] creating bookcloth (et alia)

> Which brings us to another note: We had a pot of paste we made last week,
> flour and water paste, boiled and sealed. The bloody thing exploded on us
> (we, not exploded, but fermented in the bottle until it started bubbling
out
> of the top of the jar.) Anything we can do to prevent this in the future?
> have only tried a couple of books with the goop, and am not sure whether
or
> not to just stick with the mache/PVA mixture or switch to using smaller
> volumes of flour paste, which I suppose is less likely to go bad if its
used
> up right away.

Well, there is a school of thought that you should make your paste up fresh
every time you're going to use it.

If you don't have time, or want to make larger batches for other reasons,
the three commonest preservatives I know of are clove oil, alum and
formaldehyde.  I tend to use clove oil myself, with just a few drops per 2
or 3 cup batch.  I know people who swear by alum, but formaldehyde is
probably a bit antiquated.

Reverted paste, the separated stuff after fermentation begins, should not be
used for adhesive purposes.  I don't know the chemistry behind it, but I
find it just doesn't stick all that well.

Abi
www.bookweb.sunpig.com

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes