Re: [BKARTS] Davey quality (was Binders' board)

Diane,

The quality of library binding questionable. They do use Red Label board.
They also do other things I would hesitate to recommend, such as chop the back of
section sewn books and machine oversew them. As for the standards for library
binding, they are obviously guide lines only. No one is going to rip a newly
bound book apart to see if the binder used the proper board etc.

Red Label board is nearly pH neutral and often alkaline, because calcium
hydroxide is used as a buffer.  Red Label board is made of 100% office waste which
accounts for the pieces of rubber band and staples and paper clips that are
sometimes found in it.  Davey Gold Label which is no longer made, was made of
100% corrugated board.

While I would not vouch for its sturdiness, Red Label board is suitable for
nearly all weights and thickness of books. It comes in many gauges from .059 to
.247, which is quite a range.

Ed
http:www.bookrestoration.net/

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes