Re: [BKARTS] Chlorox in paste

Well, you're all very fortunate to have the time to mix paste up fresh for
every binding session.

As a mother of two small children, with a day job, I usually get binding
time measured in half hour increments, not whole days.  Cooking a batch of
paste, then waiting for it to cool to usable temperature (plus cleanup time
in a kitchen shared by the rest of the family) would pretty much eat an
entire session.

On the other hand, as an amateur binder, I'm not exactly rebinding the Book
of Kells.  My clove-oiled paste tests out as pH neutral, and is pretty low
on the list of threats to the blank books I bind for friends, the photo
albums I give away at Christmas, or the rebinds of mass-market hardbacks and
Everyman editions from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

It's horses for courses.  The fine restoration binder who is paid for his
time and efforts can be more finicky.  I'm sure such binders also know to
cook their paste in ceramic pans, because the traces of aluminum that will
transfer from ordinary cookware may possibly lead to deterioration over
time.  But for the amateur hobbyist, it's useful to know what additives are
effective and what the risks are in order to make an informed decision.

Abi
www.bookweb.sunpig.com

                       60,000 Euro in total prizes