Re: [BKARTS] CANCELLED: Bookbinding Design Competition - MDE Innovation 2004

Hi Peter (and all),

I'm sorry to hear the competition had to be cancelled. However, it does
bring up an interesting set of questions, and one in particular that I have
also wondered about as far as fees.

I'm new to book art, so I've not really been sure about my take on this.
Maybe I'm just ignorant about the (book) art world, but it seems that just
about every competition has a fee, and while I realize that many of these
organizations that run competitions have to try to cover the costs, I've
wondered how other artist decide to enter or not to enter them.

I've only entered one of these locally and it did not require a fee to
enter. But, that doesn't mean it doesn't cost money for the artist. By the
time you make the piece(s) and mail it in, you've already spent some money,
so to add a fee on top of these other expenses IMHO seems to add enough to
cause any artist to seriously consider if it's worth it to him/her.

I'm not trying to judge or say it's right or wrong to charge a fee. I'm
seriously interested in what others think about this and how they handle
deciding to enter or not.

~ Tammy in FL