Re: [BKARTS] Sharf Fix or Brockman parer/skiver - which one to buy?

Cameron,

I've been using the SharfFix for a couple of years and have been quite
happy. Experience has increased my speed and skill with the device.
Variations in the characteristics of various leather and various colors
of the same leather make for a fairly long path to skilled use. Most
common use for me is edge paring for turn-ins touched up afterwards
with a knife. A recent clamshell box required paring a 7"x38" piece
from 1mm to .5mm. Past experience and good luck made short work of the
job. Success has kept me from developing skill with the spokeshave.

I've seen a Brockmand in use. It was old and I don't know if the design
has changed. The skilled operator made it seem easy.

Of the two devices I've seen, the brockman had the depth setting on the
bottom (a thumbscrew). My SharfFix has a dial on top for this
adjustment. I have put a mark on my dial so I can quickly hit a desired
thickness without test-cut-measure which is what I saw the brockman
user doing. The sharfix also has up-top bevel adjustment and a lever to
lift the blade. Not sure about the brockman and these features.

Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IM: stitchbyhand