Re: [BKARTS] OLINER BOARD

Dear Jet,

I set the specifications and did the testing for Oliner's Platinum and
French Blue board. Both are internally and on the surface ph neutral to
very slightly alkaline. The other criteria were:

1	When a corner is damaged, the board needed to de-laminate, rather
than breaking pieces off. This should make future repairs easier.

2	It had to sand well.

3	It had to be very hard.

4	When lined on one side, the board should not unduly warp.

5	Sections should come off as layers, allowing recessing.

6	The surface had to be reasonably flat.

The Platinum board is made in England and the Blue board in France to
Oliner's specifications. Unfortunately, the English mill has closed
down, so when Oliner's stock of Platinum board is gone, it will be gone
for good. We are in the process of finding a replacement.

As far as I know, Oliner has no minimum order. The trick is to keep the
shipping cost per board down. In the past, I organized group orders
with other binders in the Southern California area. If you decide to go
this route, be sure that you get the money from everyone up front and
that all parties have signed a written contract before you proceed.
This should in theory eliminate any unpleasant surprises once the board
has arrived. Given the difficulties I've had in the past, I am no
longer organizing group orders.

Frank Lehmann
Lehmann Bindery

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:33:41 -0400, Jet Wimp wrote:
>     Encouraged by the ongoing discussion, I have sent for and just
> received a sample of Oliner board, made by Oliner Fibre Co., Union, NJ
> (www.oliner.com).  The board I received was .08" (also comes in .047,
> .060, .095, .120)
>     I like a lot about it.  It is tough, springy, bends without creasing
> or warping.  It saws beautifully, without sending up plumes of fibre or
> leaving ragged edges. I THINK it is archival, but the results of my Ph
> tester are ambiguous, since the board is so dark.
>     Maybe list members can answer some of my questions:
> 1)  Does Oliner retail from NJ, or does one have to find a dealer? Do
> they deal in small quantities?
> 2)  Is the bookboard truly archival?
> 3)  Is this discussion of bookboard ever going to end?
> Thanks,
> Jet Wimp
> Philadelphia, PA  19139
>
>  The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in
> Brussels seeking a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from
> the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back
> counter.
>  ?But they are identical,? the owner protested.
>  ?No,? Magritte insisted.  ?This one?s been stared at.?

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004