Re: [BKARTS] cleaning bookcloth

Robbin:

We use ourselves and sell a lot of Asahi Japanese book cloth. It's
rayon rater than silk, by the way.

We are very familiar with your problem. As beautiful as the Japanese
fabrics are they nearly impossible to clean without leaving a mark of
some kind.

Glue spots, paste spots, moisture spots and oil from fingers (or
other sources) as well as dirt from table tops are all staining
enemies of any uncoated fabric. You would have the same problem with
domestic uncoated fabric or any of those imported from the
Netherlands, Germany or Italy.

You might get lucky trying an art gum or kneaded eraser (very gently)
and - depending on the finish of your Asahi cloth - have "some" mild
success. You also may make it look worse than it does now so BE
CAREFUL!

In the end, you may have to satisfy yourself by accepting the
"patina" of use or if desperate enough, have another box made to
duplicate the original.

If any lurkers out there know of a better solution to stain removal
on this type of fabric I would L O V E to learn of them myself.

Good luck and best regards,

Gregor Campbell
Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
800-942-6224
greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.campbell-logan.com

I have an artist book with a box covered in Asahi book cloth.  I've just
noticed that the inkjet-printed paper of the cover has smudged the book
cloth at two corners on the box: does anyone know how to best remove inkjet
smudges from (I think) silk?
-Thanks -
Robbin Ami Silverberg
Dobbin Mill / Dobbin Books