[BKARTS] animal hide glue

We've been talking about paste, but I have questions about glue.  I want to know what is being used today...my books are 20years old.
I am working on restoring 18th century books that had animal glue on the spines. I had to resew one book completely. What would you conservators use to glue up the spine again? I am tempted to use wheat paste so that it is completely reversible, but would it be better to use a hot animal glue? Are they really flexible enough? They seem very brittle to me when I get into an old book.
What is used currently so that the restoration is really reversible?  I have some rubbery animal glue in a block. I don't know how old it is
and I am afraid to use it...

Thanks for your help,
Carole Vanderhoof
Lonely Pine Bindery