Re: [BKARTS] animal hide glue

It has an indefinate shelf life. Rinse it off in warm water to
remove any soil and till it is nice and slippery on the
surface.

Weigh the bar of glue and put it in a double boiler with a cup
of hot water per 2 ounbces of glue, or one liter per 250 grams.
let it set over night and then fill the bottom part of the
double boiler with hot water and then let it set on a slow
burner till an hour or hour and a half has passed. Stir to make
certain that the entire glue block has desolved, then thin to a
desired condition. Add a small ammount of carbolic acid as a
preservative, one tablespoon per gallon or 4-5 ml per liter.

Store the remainder in a tightly closed container under
refrigeration.

MaiKätzchen

--- Carole Vanderhoof <CaroleVanderhoof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We've been talking about paste, but I have questions about
> glue.  I want to know what is being used today...my books are
> 20years old.
> I am working on restoring 18th century books that had animal
> glue on the spines. I had to resew one book completely. What
> would you conservators use to glue up the spine again? I am
> tempted to use wheat paste so that it is completely
> reversible, but would it be better to use a hot animal glue?
> Are they really flexible enough? They seem very brittle to me
> when I get into an old book.
> What is used currently so that the restoration is really
> reversible?  I have some rubbery animal glue in a block. I
> don't know how old it is
> and I am afraid to use it...
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Carole Vanderhoof
> Lonely Pine Bindery

>          Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online
> Exhibition
>
>       Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at:
> <http://www.philobiblon.com>

=====