Re: [BKARTS] Brown Bookcloth

Wow, thanks!

I was going to ask about tinting unbleached cloth, but I wasn't sure if that was an acceptable practice. And texture does worry me, as these books have a sort of pebble finish to them. It isn't a stamp, I don't think, because the boards are not impressed, it seems to be in the cloth. . . does that sound right? If so, how does one match that? Oh-oh, I believe the answer to that question may be in the websites and sample books you referred to. I'm going to check them out right now.

Many, many thanks!

Susan

James Tapley wrote:

Hi Susan... We are all apprentices till we get our wings! Have you looked at
www.covermaterial.com, 1.800.225.7132? You'll get samples really fast. check
out BL-11000, Hickory Linen. But I find matching texture, feel, more of an
issue than color. Modern backcloths are just so different in their making from
their mid-1800's parents.
In my own work I buy unbleached handkerchief linen from The Ulster Linen
Company, http://www.ulsterlinen.com/2.htm. I wash, size, and paper line it for the
best quality match I know. If necessary it is easily tinted with dilute
Lascaux acrylics. Best, James

James Tapley Hand Bookbinder 2077 Thirteenth Street Sarasota, FL 34237 USofA Tel 941 366 8248

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004