[BKARTS] soluble nylon

Weeelllll; not exactly.  Turned out that soluble nylon was not quite as
reversible as advertised. Seems that there was some formaldehyde in the
formulation, and that caused hardening and insolubility.

While it is true that conservators are willing to change their methods
and materials in light of new research, the sad(?) fact about 'new'
research is that it is being continually re-newed.

Mention has been made of glycerine added to hide glue; Tom Conroy states
correctly that it keeps the moisture content higher than would otherwise
be the case, yet it doesn't tend to support mold growth.

This is because glycerine is a mild antiseptic.

Jack

>You asked what conservators use.  It might be more appropriate to ask; what
>is the current belief as to what is a suitable spine adhesive?
>Conservators are
>like those in the field of medicine and nutrition, their beliefs change
>radically from time to time. In the 60s, soluble nylon was the rage among
>"conservators" for consolidation. Try buying it today. You can't. It was
>>discovered that soluble nylon breaks down after only a short period,
>rendering it totally useless. Well,... Back to the drawing board.
>
>My advice is to study what has been used successfully over centuries, and
>employ that for a guide for what does and doesn't work; and of that which
>>worked, which was best. There are literally millions of examples to learn
>from.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed
>http://www.bookrestoration.net/

>                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
>         Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
>            Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
>
>      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

Thompson Conservation Lab.