Re: [BKARTS] animal hide glue

Susan,

Unfortunately there are no modern substitutes for 19th century bookcloths.
Most Bookcloth of that era was starch-filled and much of that was embossed in
either leather-grain, "diaper," cord, basket weave, etc.  Combined with
goldstamping and silk-screen decoration they made for very handsome books.

I think the closest we can come today is acrylic filled bookcloth, Roxite,
and the like from ICG/Holliston. If there were enough demand, they would produce
bookcloth like that of the 19th century. But, alas, the demand doesn't exist.

Regards,

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung