Re: [BKARTS] animal hide glue

I'm sorry to hear that.

I get the feeling that there is not too much respect for the early clothbound books. In fact, when I read Edith Diehl's characterization of sinking cords as a "vicious" invention of the 18th c., I get the distinct impression that book respect lessens as one moves farther and farther from incunabula. That doesn't seem to be the opinion that prevails on this list, though.

With that in mind, and with the unavailability of period-correct coverings, perhaps that is why I was advised to look for an inexpensive period book from which to strip the cloth to use for my backing projects. As a historian, I really can't quite do that, but I wonder, what are your thoughts regarding such practices?

I realize I may be opening another philosophical debate; perhaps that is why I am asking the question :-)

Susan

Edward Stansell wrote:

Susan,

Unfortunately there are no modern substitutes for 19th century bookcloths.
Most Bookcloth of that era was starch-filled and much of that was embossed in
either leather-grain, "diaper," cord, basket weave, etc.  Combined with
goldstamping and silk-screen decoration they made for very handsome books.

I think the closest we can come today is acrylic filled bookcloth, Roxite,
and the like from ICG/Holliston. If there were enough demand, they would produce
bookcloth like that of the 19th century. But, alas, the demand doesn't exist.

Regards,

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung