Re: [BKARTS] period cloth (was animal hide glue)

I agree with Don and Ed that a fabric such as roxite can look quite
complementary with 19th century book cloths. With the lack of options
available, this is often satisfactory to the client, since the next
step is completely rebinding.  Roxite is also easy to work with and
takes foils nicely. Speaking of foils, I try to match--if not
exactly--the feel of the original decorations and stamping on the new
spine. Here a good collection of dies and type is crucial to being able
to replicate the blind stamping and lettering of the original.

Don, one note. Though sawing in may have been useful to the speed of
printing in 19th century, it was a practice used on most early American
bindings long before printing speed was an issue.

Regards,

Vernon