Re: [BKARTS] period cloth (was animal hide glue)

Concerning book cloth, how well do acrylics stand up over time?  Acrylic
is a plastic, right?  And plastics lose their plasticizers in time.  So
will these modern cloth covers eventually lose their acrylic to dusting
or flaking?

Also, is there a problem with sizing cloth with starch by hand--besides
the extra time it takes?

T. A. Brown
Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

Don Rash wrote:

Susan,

Covering in cloth and sawn-in cords are two very different things. Any
book that comes into the shop should be treated as respectfully and
appropriately as possible. Sawing in was a natural response to the
increased speed of printing by binders who at the time were not
mechanized at all.But there are better ways of working today...
As to your concern about period cloth.If you're able to reuse the
original spine, use a cloth that is similar in texture and tone it with
acrylics. I can never get an exact match, but if the tone and intensity
are close, the repair will be unobtrusive and only show in the joints.
Most ethical book people will be quite happy with such a repair; at
least that's been my experience. The only time I might condone using
original cloth is if I had an unusable cover available; the odds of that
(in my shop at least) are pretty low.
Good luck.

Don Rash

Susan Cifaldi wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that.

I get the feeling that there is not too much respect for the early
clothbound books.  In fact, when I read Edith Diehl's characterization
of sinking cords as a "vicious" invention of the 18th c., I get the
distinct impression that book respect lessens as one moves farther and
farther from incunabula.  That doesn't seem to be the opinion that
prevails on this list, though.

With that in mind, and with the unavailability of period-correct
coverings, perhaps that is why I was advised to look for an inexpensive
period book from which to strip the cloth to use for my backing
projects.   As a historian, I really can't quite do that, but I wonder,
what are your thoughts regarding such practices?

I realize I may be opening another philosophical debate; perhaps that is
why I am asking the question   :-)

Susan

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004