Re: [BKARTS] animal hide glue

Using "old" cloth to restore a book isn't very practical. Finding the right material is not realistic, because it's going to be really hard (read time-consuming and maybe not even possible) to find. The cloth is going to be as brittle and deteriorated as what we are repairing/replacing. If doing a reback, using old fabric is going to be a waste, since the work would have to be redone way too soon—it won't hold up. Patching losses to the cover are another matter, but we still run head-on into the problem of simply FINDING the appropriate material.

There are so very many books out there that need repair/restoration, it seems only sensible to use a modern cloth, dyeing or tinting it to match and texturing it as necessary.

Everything blends together in a well-done restoration, even if the materials are from a different century.

Carol
Eugene, OR