Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 3 Jun 2004 to 4 Jun 2004 (#2004-151)

Starch filled bookcloth has one major problem:  Silverfish consider it to
be delicious so unless  the starch filler has pyrethrum or other non human
toxic insecticide in it, it will be nibbled in no time. That is my
experience here in Sydney, Australia, where we have humid hot summers and
are famed for our cockroaches and other summer insectcs. I keep such books
in the plastic wraps which come around magazines, sealed with sticky tape.

By the way, it is possible to stand on our railway platforms and see "Due
in 2 minutes" change to "Due in 5 minutes" on the indicator boards. I call
this negative railway time and feel that it impedes progress but perhaps I
should see it as regression.

Adrienne Allen
----------------------------

> Date:    Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:20:01 -0400
> From:    The Musar Corporation <info@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: period cloth (was animal hide glue)
>
> Concerning book cloth, how well do acrylics stand up over time?  Acrylic
> is a plastic, right?  And plastics lose their plasticizers in time.  So
> will these modern cloth covers eventually lose their acrylic to dusting
> or flaking?
>
> Also, is there a problem with sizing cloth with starch by hand--besides
> the extra time it takes?
>
> T. A. Brown
> Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung