Re: unsafe art practices

Dear Dean

I feel frightened by the actions of the current government.  I feel
frightened by guns in the hands of anyone, period.  I feel frightened by
religion in politics, by repression and by sanitized political reporting. I
feel frightened to travel outside the US, and sometimes, I feel frightened
to speak out in my artwork, in case someone finds it unpatriotic, or just
plain disapproves of something that scares her "under cover of art".  What
I'm not afraid of is that this artistic group is a bio-threat.  The article
was clear, there was no danger to anyone from anything these artists had
done.

Furthermore, like it or not, artists do use weird or offensive materials -
feces, blood, organic detritus and trash-heap objects with no clean
provenance.  Mold, insects, who knows what else infest library shelves.  I
may not think it attractive or even meaningful, but it's not something I
have a veto over.

What I think applies to creative people on both the right and the left:
this is protected free speech.  It may not be popular, but hands
off.  Who's to judge?  Rumsfield?  If only clean art is permitted, watch
out.  We'll end up in the political equivalent of Stepford.

But hey, that's just my view. I'm crabby today.

Cheers

Candy