Re: [BKARTS] bindery work at living history/open-air museums

Sounds pretty corporate to me. And just a little, uh, "cavalier" to require a degree/certification in a historical trade plus formal education, plus historical sensitivity plus a willingness to subvert all that training to do menial work at what I assume is minimal, if not minimum wage. . . have you read the Handler and Gable book, which is a study on a similar type of museum located in the sunny south?

I'm just south of Hartford, CT.

Susan

I don't know if I'm going to phrase this right because I got it
secondhand from my mother in law. She volunteers there in the summer
to weed the botanical gardens. That's all they want there... is
people to help weed the gardens.

Everything else is either contracted thought the CT state historical
trust (that's the term I'm not sure she got right (State of CT/
Historical Trust?) and they have a actual contract or they put out
bids on things... or something like that... anyway, you don't just
get *hired* there...  you have to go through some other organization
at the state level....

My friend Chris worked at Sturbridge for a summer... not only do you
have to be skilled at what you do, they want you to have some sort of
certification in it...  and you also have to go through several
acting auditions because you have to stay in character all the time,
you know? She ended up being some sort of gardening wench or
something, I don't know. But she was a colonial history major anyway,
so she knew all that stuff....

I don't know anything about Deerfield.

But from the sounds of it, you are in my neck of the woods. Where are
you? I'm in Rhode Island near Providence.

-Jenny

--

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004