Re: [BKARTS] bindery work at living history/open-air museums

If I recall correctly, Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia has a binder.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Cifaldi" <scifaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] bindery work at living history/open-air museums

> Sounds pretty corporate to me.  And just a little, uh, "cavalier" to
require a degree/certification in a historical trade plus formal education,
plus historical sensitivity plus a willingness to subvert all that training
to do menial work at what I assume is minimal, if not minimum wage. . . have
you read the Handler and Gable book, which is a study on a similar type of
museum located in the sunny south?

> I'm just south of Hartford, CT.
>

> Susan
>

> >I don't know if I'm going to phrase this right because I got it
> >secondhand from my mother in law. She volunteers there in the summer
> >to weed the botanical gardens. That's all they want there... is
> >people to help weed the gardens.
> >
> >Everything else is either contracted thought the CT state historical
> >trust (that's the term I'm not sure she got right (State of CT/
> >Historical Trust?) and they have a actual contract or they put out
> >bids on things... or something like that... anyway, you don't just
> >get *hired* there...  you have to go through some other organization
> >at the state level....
> >
> >My friend Chris worked at Sturbridge for a summer... not only do you
> >have to be skilled at what you do, they want you to have some sort of
> >certification in it...  and you also have to go through several
> >acting auditions because you have to stay in character all the time,
> >you know? She ended up being some sort of gardening wench or
> >something, I don't know. But she was a colonial history major anyway,
> >so she knew all that stuff....
> >
> >I don't know anything about Deerfield.
> >
> >But from the sounds of it, you are in my neck of the woods. Where are
> >you? I'm in Rhode Island near Providence.
> >
> >-Jenny
> >

> >--

> >                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
> >         Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
> >            Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
> >                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
> >
> >      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung