[BKARTS] Art & DNA (was Patriot act takes an artist (good!))

Don Drake wrote:

Also mentioned in the NYT article was beer containing human dna
available for human consumption.
An FDA approved product?

This is not the first time that art has used modern science to create a consumable with human DNA spliced into it.

http://www.afaa.com.au/news/news-1181.asp Agrifood News Archive

UK - APPLE TREE WITH HUMAN GENES

AN APPLE TREE BEARING HUMAN DNA: ARTS STUDENTS SEEK THE ULTIMATE IN
FORBIDDEN FRUIT
May 26, 2003 - The Independent

Two UK arts students, according to this story, intend to grow trees
whose DNA has been spliced with that of humans, giving a whole new
meaning to eating apples called Granny Smiths.

The story says that the scheme would replace the unused, or "junk",
DNA in the trees' chromosomes with the non-junk parts of the human
donor's, to create a hybrid where the human genes were inactive, but
still present in every cell of the plant - including any fruit.

The intention was to create a modern form of memorial, said Georg
Tremmel and Shiho Fukuhara, of the Interaction Design Department at
the Royal College of Art. "We are interested in the moral, ethical
and social issues this new kind of tree will raise," Mr Tremmel said.
"How will a person's approach to a tree change, if the tree carries
human DNA? Will it still be just a tree, or will it be more?"

The scheme has already aroused the interest of researchers at the
Scottish Crop Research Institute, and the students think commercial
development might be possible. The genetic splicing can be done,
according to Dr Bernard Lamb, a reader in genetics at Imperial
College, London. "It is absolutely possible to replace a tree's junk
DNA with the DNA of a human," he said.

more info: <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Georg+Tremmel+and+Shiho+Fukuhara%2C+of+the+Interaction+Design+Department+at+the+Royal+College+of+Art>

Maybe our pharmaceutical giants could get their PR guys to reposition
them as arts organizations and work up good manifesto.

Be careful of what you wish for... - or - Shhhhhh! They might hear you.

To get back to books, I wonder if the cellulose from such a tree
could (should?) be made into paper for a book?  A genealogy that
incorporates the family's DNA into the pages perhaps?

- Duncan -- "Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a Viking!" - Ralph Wiggum (The Simpsons)

http://www.campbell-logan.com
http://www.tvjunkie.net

Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN